Jason Kidd’s tenure leading the Dallas Mavericks has concluded.
Dallas Mavericks management confirmed on Tuesday evening their joint decision to separate from their head coach following a five-season period.
For the last five seasons, Kidd was at the helm of the Mavericks. His leadership began prior to the 2021-22 season, following the departure of veteran coach Rick Carlisle to the Indiana Pacers. Kidd guided the Mavericks to the NBA Finals in 2024, supported by standout Luka Dončić; however, the team’s performance declined markedly subsequent to the unexpected trade of Dončić to the Los Angeles Lakers.
Overall, Kidd achieved an even 205-205 win-loss record during his time with the Mavericks, representing his third head coaching appointment in professional basketball. Kidd, an accomplished Hall of Famer who also played for the Mavericks after being chosen as the second overall pick in the 1994 NBA Draft, had prior brief coaching roles with both the Brooklyn Nets and the Milwaukee Bucks.
Kidd, whose contract was extended last summer, still had a remaining four years and over $40 million left on his agreement with the Mavericks.
“Jason has had a meaningful impact on the Dallas Mavericks, both as a Hall of Fame player and as the head coach who helped lead this franchise back to the NBA Finals,” team president Masai Ujiri said in a statement. “We are thankful for Jason’s leadership, his professionalism and his commitment to the team. In my short time here, I’ve developed an enormous amount of respect for what he has built. He will always be an important part of the Mavericks family.”
Since the Dončić transaction, the Mavericks have failed to qualify for the postseason, concluding last season with a 26-56 standing – their lowest since the 2017-18 season. Dallas chose Duke luminary Cooper Flagg as the top overall selection last summer, and holds the ninth overall pick in the upcoming draft. Flagg, along with their next draft pick, will be playing alongside prominent guard Kyrie Irving next season. Irving was sidelined for the entirety of the 2025-26 season due to a torn ACL recovery.
The parting of ways with Kidd represents the most recent development in a significant organizational overhaul for the Mavericks. Earlier this month, the franchise appointed Masai Ujiri, previously an executive with the Toronto Raptors, as its new president. Ujiri succeeds Nico Harrison, whose dismissal followed substantial fan criticism after the Dončić trade. Subsequently, Ujiri and the Mavericks brought in Mike Schmitz to assume the role of the team’s general manager.
Ujiri and Schmitz are now poised to begin the search for a new head coach to succeed Kidd for the forthcoming season. These two, along with the incoming coach, will be charged with revitalizing the team.
“As we evaluate the future of our basketball program, we believe this is the right moment for a new direction for our team,” Ujiri said. “We have high expectations for this franchise and a responsibility to build a basketball organization capable of sustained championship contention. We will conduct a thorough, disciplined search for our next head coach and continue to evaluate our entire basketball operations staff to ensure we compete at the standard Mavs fans expect and deserve.”